Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Killer Cravings... Kill(your) Cravings

Do you struggle with chronic cravings? Me too. I'm the queen of cravings. But now instead of craving chocolate, I find myself craving juicy strawberries.

Cravings are terrible. They make your head spin and your stomach growl. Cravings, like most things in weight loss, are in your head, and it is your job to manipulate your mind. The problem with cravings is that sometimes they can completely disrupt a lifestyle change, and could cause you to go back to your old bad eating habits. I killed my cravings by finding healthy substitutions for my common cravings. So now when I would be craving chips, I crave a salty alternative, like almonds or pistachios. Manipulation works, but it does take time, because it is all about changing your habits.

In the meantime, it's okay to indulge on a craving once in a while, but keep in mind how you will feel when you get to the bottom of the pint of ice cream, my guess is not very good, so indulge, but in moderation. Sometimes when I would act on a craving I would feel sick, but occasionally this would push me to do better the next week and not indulge.

Below is a list of common cravings (for me at least) and my substitutions. Here's some homework for you: write down what you crave and write down a healthy alternative of your own, refer to this when you crave something! This is a process of tricking your mind!

Craving This:                                            Eat this:
Chips/ Pretzels                                          Air popped popcorn (skinny pop) or almonds
Something Sweet                                      Strawberries or an apple
Soda                                                           Sparkling water with lemon
Ranch                                                        Hummus (garlic is my favorite)
Pasta                                                          Zucchini Noodles
Chocolate                                                  1 oz of 85% cacao dark chocolate
Potatoes                                                     Sautéed zucchini and squash
Bread                                                         Low carb or corn tortilla
Bacon                                                        Canadian bacon
Burger                                                       Portabello Mushroom Cap 
Chocolate Chip Cookies/                        Yasso Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Frozen Greek Yogurt
Ice Cream 



Side Note: Let me know how you are doing on your journey!! I want to hear :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment