Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Navigating the Dining Halls

One of the excitements of college is the food. I come from a family of mediocre chefs, therefore, having the luxury of eating whatever I want, and on top of that, it being good food, was probably one of the most exciting parts of the first weeks of college for me. Being able to eat any food and as much food as you want to eat is a blessing and a curse. The blessing is that there is always a variety and you can usually find something you like and the curse is that binge eating can become a serious problem.

My friends and I loved to eat dinner together but with mixed schedules it was a rare occasion, mainly just a weekend event, and a long one at that. We could be in the dining hall for two hours just catching up on the week and of course eating while doing so. For some people talking while eating a meal is great because it gives the person more time to digest their food, but for some, like myself, this is not the case. For me if I am sitting around talking to my friends for two hours there can be times where the conversation does not necessarily peak my interest, which leads to boredom, which leads to overeating.

If you know your friends are like this, start with one item at a time. I usually go for a salad first and from their go for the fish or chicken option of the day. If you still find the need to eat after your first two courses, continue on the healthy route by returning to the salad bar for cucumbers, which are practically water, and yet still fill you up. For me cucumbers have become chips, which is why if I decide to take food to-go I usually fill a cup with cucumbers and store them in my fridge for later.

Ahhhh speaking of the to-go boxes...

A great option that dining halls have to offer is the option to take food to-go. This usually works well for me if I have a night class or know I will be busy. This is also a great way to control your portions. If you choose the to-go option, only take one box and a soup cup. Fill your box up with the food you want, which should contain a protein (chicken, turkey, etc) or omega-3 (fish) and vegetables (no bread, no pasta, and none of those cookies that are calling your name). Look at your box before leaving and make sure that your box is three-fourths green, meaning that three-fourths of your food is vegetables. This is made possible by simply asking for say, salmon, and a double helping of asparagus. The doubling of the asparagus, or vegetable of your choice, will take up more room in your box and will eliminate the need for starches and carbs.


Now for the tiny soup cup. Skip the high sodium chicken noodle; unless you’re sick, in that case I feel your pain. Fill the soup cup, or a normal beverage cup, with extra veggies to store in your fridge for anytime snacking. I usually go for cucumbers but sometimes mix it up by choosing carrots or peppers. If your dining hall offers hummus take a tablespoon of that as well, but don't make a habit of it because the hummus could be high in preservatives. While you’re still there, take an apple for the morning or a citrus fruit, such as an orange or grapefruit. While bananas are filling and full of potassium, they are high in carbs and calories and they go straight to your stomach (say no to belly fat). An apple, on the other hand, provides a filling snack that is surprisingly easy to eat between classes. That line, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away” is no joke!

When it comes to breakfast in the dining halls, be very careful. Hopefully your school has an omelet station because that's the best option. Load an omelet with veggies and no cheese! If that's not an option go for oatmeal, fruit, eggs, or a healthy cereal option. 

I hope this helps you get through the hustle and bustle of the dining halls without giving into temptation. 

P.S.-

Once in a while it's okay to enjoy a treat in the dining hall. In fact you should allow yourself something. Maybe it's a basket of fries that's calling your name or some ice cream, whatever it is, allow yourself a treat once a week, but don't finish it all. Chances are the servings the dining hall gives you, or that you give yourself, are too big, so just don't clean the plate or bowl. A general rule for portioning is the size of your palm. Treating yourself may get you through the week. I know that if I tell myself I can have a slice of pizza on Sunday night, then the whole week ahead I will make sure I make good choices!


No comments:

Post a Comment