Sunday, July 5, 2015

My First Big Dinner Out

When I started my journey I was only eating food from the dining hall or my own food. I had set routine and knew exactly what I was going to eat everyday and night. So.... it really threw me off guard when my friends decided that they wanted to go out to eat for one last meal before summer. I was hesitant at first, but of course I wanted to get dressed up and go out to eat with my best friends, who I wouldn't be seeing for months (I miss you Taylor, Morgan, and Hannah), but I was nervous about what I was going to order.

We were going to eat at Outback Steakhouse, which was already difficult considering I gave up red meat, but I made do. Luckily my friends and I are extreme planners and we had our meal planned weeks ahead of time. I allowed myself one week before the meal to study the menu (I basically have it memorized now if you ever need any advice). I looked at the nutrition facts everyday trying to figure out what to order. I planned, which is key to weight loss success. So after hours of drooling over the menu, I decided, the night before, that I would order a salad with no cheese or croutons, but I would allow myself a reward of ice cream for dessert. In preperation, for what I considered to be a feast, I ate light the day of and worked out twice.

This adventure clearly caused me lots of anxiety, something I don't want you all to feel. What I want you to take from this is plan, but in moderation. If you know you are going out to dinner eat light the day of and get a good workout in. For the meal order something moderately healthy and you'll be fine. Also, limit your restaurant trips to twice a week at most, but if you absolutely have to go out, follow my tips below.

Tips for Restaurants:

  • ask the server to not bring bread or chips
  • squeeze a lemon in your water to suppress your appetite, and drink the whole glass before you eat your meal
  • browse through the nutrition menu ahead of time, but don't stress out over it
  • have leftovers, meals at restaurants are usually enough food for two people 
  • enjoy every moment and bite because this is a splurge  

No comments:

Post a Comment