Wednesday, August 26, 2015

It's okay to give yourself a pat on the back... you deserve one...

Last week I was able to participate in welcome week for the freshman at my school! Not only did I get to teach two cycling classes for freshman, but I was also able to tell them a little bit about my fitness journey. I participated in four presentations on health, fitness, and stress management. I was only able to speak for a few minutes in each presentation, but I hope I left an impact on some of the freshman class at Christopher Newport University.

At the end of each presentation I had several students tell me that they had already started reading my blog or they followed my fitness instagram (@stressedtoskinny), and they all said they loved it, which left me happily surprised.

I had a student tell me that I stopped her from buying unhealthy food in the grocery store and I had another student tell me that she tries every one of my workouts. I had one student tell me that I helped motivate her to start her journey. I even made a connection with a freshman that had recently lost 60 pounds (how amazing, you go girl!). To hear all of this positive feedback, support, and appreciation, made me so happy!

But I also had an emotional reaction.

In the first presentation of the day, I thought I was going to cry after the group of students overwhelmed me with a round of applause after announcing that I have lost 35 pounds (I achieved this applause after each presentation and felt like I could cry tears of joy each time). Sometimes I forget what I've done. Sometimes I feel like I just woke up one day and I was skinny, but that's not the case. I often forget how hard I work, and how hard I have worked, to maintain and achieve the body that I have today. When a student asked me how I lost the weight, at the end of one of my cycling classes last week, I had to answer honestly stating, "I worked my butt off." And it's true, I did. I had to use willpower, I had to workout more than I was used to, and I had to completely change my mindset, but I did it, and for that I'm giving myself a much deserved pat on the back.

It's important that you also give yourself a pat on the back once in a while. No matter how small the achievement, reward yourself. If you work hard and give it your all, you need to remember to tell yourself you did a great job. I regret anytime that I was down on myself during the process of losing weight, for instance, when I wanted to lose 2 pounds one week and I only lost half of a pound. This is still an achievement. If you ever feel like you haven't done enough, look back, if you really didn't work hard enough, than work harder next week, but don't put yourself down.

So today I want each and everyone of you to look at what you have achieved lately and give yourself a pat on the back. Talk yourself up. Tell people how great you've been doing. Tell me how great you've been doing. Reward yourself with a new shirt. Give yourself a pat on the back and a round of applause, you deserve it all.


Side Note:

If you have been going through a life changing journey of your own and I've helped you in some way, please let me know how you are doing! I love to hear from all of you and I can't wait to hear more great things.

You can contact me via my email at lacey.gero.14@cnu.edu :)



No comments:

Post a Comment