Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Gymtimidation

At my freshman orientation someone told me there was no such thing as gymtimidation at our school's gym. What a lie. Every time I walk into the gym I'm intimidated, even now, although I am active and hold a fitness certification, I still get intimidated.

Things that scare me at the gym:

  1. The weight lifting room where all the really buff, cool guys hangout and that one random girl who is trying to show all the boys that she can lift too (she is also really hoping to get one of the guys' number). 
  2. The area with the weight machines. This area is not quite as scary but I feel like everyone is critiquing my form while using those labyrinths of machines. I'm just trying to do my lateral pulls in peace people!! 
  3. The area where everyone is working on their abs. This area (or usually just a mat) make my basic sit-ups look like a joke. 
  4. The girls that are running way faster than me on the treadmill. 
  5. When there are 5 open treadmills and some random person decides it's okay to take the one right next to you even though there are more spacious options. Talk about creepy. 
  6. Walking on the treadmill. Walking is better than running in so many ways so why is everyone judging me as I'm walking (cough cough Taylor Costello)? And if you walk as fast as I do, it's basically running. 
  7. Waiting for the stairclimber. There is one and only one that all the girls want to use. Well basically only five girls use it, including me. The problem is you never know when the other girl is going to be done and you also don't know if someone else is waiting. UGH SO FRUSTRATING. Also it's super embarrassing when you're running to get it and some girl get's there before you. 
  8. Zumba. Never tried it but it looks fun/scary. (I will give it a try this semester and let ya'll know)
  9. Staring. I know people aren't staring at me because the sweat dripping down my face is super attractive, so why??? And oh god please stop with the side eye, it's annoying. 
So that's a long list but I still somehow manage to face my fears and go to the gym everyday. And honestly the more often I go to the gym, the less scared I get because now I'm one of the "regulars". I still get the initial gymtimidation when I walk in, but as long as I suck it up and go confidently, then I can move on to my workout and rid myself of the scary thoughts. 

Please don't let gymtimidation scare you away from the gym. The more often you go, the more comfortable you will feel. Who knows maybe it's a good place for you to meet friends or maybe even a romantic relationship, or it may even turn into a second home for you or in my case, a place to get rid of all the stress. Just remember it's okay to be scared, but don't let your fears get in the way of you living a healthy life. 

Suggestions for facing the dreaded gym: 
  1. Bring a friend. 
  2. Act like you know exactly what you are doing. 
  3. Wear cute outfits. 
  4. Block the world out by wearing headphones and have your volume turned up all the way. 
  5. Do everything confidently. 
  6. Become a regular. 
  7. Join a group class. 
  8. Don't be afraid to ask for help, there's a staff for a reason! 
My fondest memories at the gym: 
  1. Staring at hot guys. 
  2. Checking my friends butts for sweat (upon request of course). 
  3. Gossiping with Taylor while stretching. 
  4. Trying to flirt with my current boyfriend, but him not noticing. 
  5. Making senior friends in cycling class (#coolkid). 
  6. That one time when I was the only person there (only once).
  7. Working really hard and putting in a lot of time there and as a result losing weight and changing my whole life! 

Me enjoying workouts at home! 


No comments:

Post a Comment