Wednesday, June 24, 2015

How to Change Your Life and Get Rid of the Freshman 15: 8 Starter Steps

I don't like to use the word diet because I think it implies something that is short term, and something that will reap results that won't last. Lifestyle change- ahh that's better- changing your life can be as simple as changing your body. Take it from me, losing weight not only transforms your body on the outside, but it drastically changes you on the inside. Losing weight changes your mind and your thought process, and it can open you up to so many great opportunities. I thoroughly believe that if something is wrong in your life and you aren't happy, you need to change. I turned to weight loss but for some people may need a change of scenery or a new wardrobe. However, if you are interested in changing your life through weight loss, I'm here to help! Here's eight simple steps to get you started!

Step 1: Get Rid of the Junk

For me it was hard to watch a full box of Oreos go into the trash bag, but I knew if I kept them I would be tempted to eat them. It's time for you to get rid of what's holding you back. Take a look into your pantry and fridge and get rid of anything unhealthy. How do you judge if something is unhealthy? Read the label of the ingredients. My personal rule is: If you can't read it, don't eat it. Unless you're a chemist, chances are you can't read almost everything in your pantry. Get rid of it all. And please, please, please get rid of your artificial sweeteners and products that use artificial sweeteners (yes Reilly I'm taking to you...). Stay away from anything that says sugar free, diet, low-fat, reduced fat, and light. Those words scream artificial sweeteners, and not to mention, chemicals. Your body stores chemicals as fat and when you're trying to lose weight that's the last thing you want!

Step 2: Take a Trip to the Grocery Store

Someone once told me to never shop in the center aisles of the grocery store. That smart man doesn't have an ounce of fat on his body. Okay so that's a little extreme, so here are my suggestions; Make 75% of your cart fruits and vegetables and leave the other 25% for meat, snacks, and breakfast.

This is my typical grocery list:
  • Strawberries 
  • Blueberries
  • Gala apples
  • Tomato
  • Yellow onion 
  • Zucchini and squash
  • A box of spring mix lettuce (with kale)
  • Cucumbers 
  • Carrots
  • Avocados
  • A lemon (for dressing) 
  • Organic black beans 
  • Almonds
  • Skinny pop
  • Organic hummus 
  • Chicken breasts
  • Salmon 
  • Turkey cutlets 
So I'll be honest, the cost of this can add up. Eating healthy can be expensive, but you will be surprised as to how much money you will save by not eating at restaurants as often! 

Tip: Don't go to the grocery store hungry! The best time to go is right after a filling breakfast. 

Step 3: Download an App

MyFitnessPal. Use it, Abuse it. 

This is by far my favorite app on my phone. I enter all of my food in it daily. It is personalized to you and your goals and it tells you how many calories you should be eating everyday, how many carbs, how much sodium, how many grams of sugar, etc. I owe so much of my success to this app, it really kept me on track. Try it for yourself!

Step 4: Make Goals

My suggestion for making goals is to make one overall goal and several sub goals.

For example (my goals):
Overall Goal: Lose 30 pounds by the end of June (go from 175 to 145)
Sub goals:
End of March goal weight: 168 (Actual Weight: 165)
End of April goal weight: 158 (Actual Weight: 156)
End of May goal weight: 148 (Actual Weight: 145)

Something that pushed me to reach and exceed my goals was a reward system. For every 8 lbs lost I would buy myself something special, like shoes or a new shirt (this helped my shopping addiction)!

Tip: Step on your scale everyday, but have a day for an official weigh in so you can see your progress weekly.

Step 5: Change Your Attitude

"No negative waves" as my Poppop would say. As cliche as it sounds you need to take can't out of your vocabulary. Weight loss is all about motivating yourself and staying positive, because, believe it or not, the process isn't all rainbows and butterflies. I hope to motivate anyone who needs it (message me via social media, or e-mail, for motivation or coaching), but you are your best coach and motivator. Talk to yourself. Give yourself a pep talk every morning. Write yourself motivational notes, and put them EVERYWHERE. Tell yourself that you are proud of you. Instead of saying "I need to lose weight" say, "I will lose weight."

Step 6: Exercise

80% of weight loss is about food and 20% is about exercise. With that being said, don't skimp on the exercise. Come up with a strategy or schedule. If you belong to a gym, use it, if not, use YouTube. There are so many great (free) videos out there that can help to get you moving. No matter what it is that you are doing, push yourself. My strategy/plan was to get at least 30 minutes of cardio a day in and about 30 minutes of weight training and ab workouts. When I started my diet I did a 30-day ab challenge, which I highly recommend. You can find these challenges all over Pinterest or Google! After one month of doing the same thing, I switched my routine up (what's the definition of insanity?) and began working out twice a day (I'm kind of addicted). I will be posting weekly exercises, but below is my plan from when I first started to lose weight (gym required).

  • 15 minutes on the stair climber (level 8, fat burner) 
  • 10 minute interval bike training (40 seconds fast, 20 seconds slow pedaling for 10 minutes)
  • 10 minute walk on the treadmill (5.0 mph, 1.5 incline)
  • 3 sets of 80 jumping jacks 
  • 3 sets of 1-minute butt kicks 
  • 3 sets of 30 second high knees 
  • If Arm Day: 
    • 3 sets, 10 reps bicep curls 
    • 3 sets, 10 reps rows
    • 3 sets, 10 reps tricep dips
  • If Leg Day: 
    • 3 sets, 10 reps weighted goblet squats (30 lbs) 
    • 3 sets, 10 reps walking lunges (weights optional, start off light)
    • 3 sets, 10 reps donkey kicks 
    • box jumps for one minute 
  • Followed by ab challenge and 10 push-ups 
Tip: Have a rest day! Sundays were usually my rest day and all I would do was cardio.


Step 7: Do Your Research

As honored as I am that you are reading this and taking my advice (thank you by the way!), don't make me your only source of information. Use Google, use Pinterest, watch a documentary or two, read a book, etc. Learn your stuff. To be able to change your body, you need to learn about it. I'm still trying to research and learn (constantly...probably too much) about the body and food and how they work together. I'm currently 100 pages through the giant book of "Nutrition for Dummies". But seriously, once you do your research you will be able to push harder and have good strategies for success.

Recommended Websites for Research:
www.mayoclinic.com
www.popsugar.com
http://www.skinnymom.com/

Step 8: Take Your Before Picture

I don't care how big you are, take the picture. The best way would be in a bathing suit. Look at this picture everyday. If you are daring, set it as your background. Take a new picture every three weeks. You will see a difference, and I want to see a difference! Let me know how it's going! If I didn't look at my before picture everyday I don't know if I would have pushed as hard. I can't explain how amazing it feels to watch yourself progress. I'm not really super sensitive and, unless I'm having an anxiety attack, it can take a lot to make me cry, but every time I look at my before and after pictures I tear up. So please, please, please take pictures of yourself. I know you are beautiful and soon you will too, and I also know you can do it.



No comments:

Post a Comment